Hip Hop and R’n’B star Hillary “Hillzy” Chipunza clinched the Best Artist, Duo in African RnB and soul gong for his song TV Room which features Garry Mapanzure at the All Africa Music Awards (Afrima) on Saturday.
The Muroora hitmaker had been nominated with some of the best artistes in Africa, among them South Africa’s Nasty C and Nigeria’s Davido.
In an interview with NewsDay Life &Style, Hillzy acknowledged his fans for standing and voting for him to scoop the award.
“My fans you are the best. I asked who you would want me to collaborate with and you chose my boy Garry and we did as you said, now the rest is history,” he said.
“I appreciate the votes and plays especially on load shedding times and with pricy data bundles these days. I am thankful and cannot wait to give back whatever I can.”
Hillzy has had a good year so far, with most of his songs being played on some of Africa’s biggest television channels and his latest single, Who Sent You was on number one spot on Trace Africa last week.
He also had a successful tour alongside Mapanzure which saw them perform at different places across the country that included Harare, Mutare, Chinhoyi and Masvingo.
The singer said he is working on his Extended Play (EP) which is going to be released in the first quarter of the year 2020 on a date yet to be announced.
2019 AFRIMA Full Winners:
- Best Video Director Of The Year – Director Kenny, Tanzania
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Rock – Rash, Kenya
- Best Female Artiste Southern Africa – Nadia Nakai, South Africa
- Revelation of the African Continent – Nikita Kering, Kenya
- Best African DJ – DJ SPINALL, Nigeria
- Best Male Artiste in Central Africa – Salatiel, Cameroon
- Best Female Artist in Northern Africa – Nada Azhari, Morocco
- Best Female Artist in Central Africa – Shan’L, Gabon
- Best Male Artiste in Northern Africa – Amiinux, Morocco
- Best Male Artiste in Eastern Africa – Khaligraph Jones, Kenya
- Artist of the Year in Africa – Burna Boy, Nigeria
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Contemporary – 2face Idibia, Nigeria
- Best Male Artist in Southern Africa – Sjava, South Africa
- African Fans’ Favourite – Mohamed Ramadan, Egypt
- Album of the Year in Africa – Afrikan Sauce by Sauti Sol, Kenya
- Best African Act in the Diaspora – Manno Beats, ft. Afrotronix & Vox Sambou, Chad
- Best Male Artiste in Western Africa – Burna Boy, Nigeria
- Best Female Artist in Western Africa – Tiwa Savage, Nigeria
- Best Female Artist in Eastern Africa – Nikita Kering, Kenya
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Pop – Joeboy, Nigeria
- Best African Collaboration – Nasty C ft. Rowlene
- Best African Artist, Duo or Group in African Electro – Manno Beats ft. Afrotronix & Vox Sambou
- Best African Duo, Group or Band – Sauti Sol, Kenya
- Best African Dance or Choreography – Aminux, Morocco
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Hip Hop – Nadia Nakai, South Africa
- Best African Rapper/Lyricist – Nasty C, South Africa
- Best Artist, Duo in Group in African Jazz – Owen & Tiana, Gabon
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African R&B & Soul – Hillzy, Zimbabwe
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Reggae, Ragga or Dancehall – Stonebwoy, Ghana
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Traditional – Abrham Belanyeh, Ethiopia
- Best Female Artist, Duo or Group in African Inspirational Music – Kanvee Adams, Liberia
- Best Male Artist, Duo or Group in African Inspirational Music – Onesimus, Malawi
- Best African Video – Director Kenny, Tanzania
- Most Promising Artiste in Africa – Bráulio Alexandre, Angola
- Producer of the Year in Africa – Kel P, Nigeria
- Song of the Year in Africa – Fever by Wizkid, Nigeria
- Songwriter of the Year in Africa – Kanvee Adams, Liberia